Residential Safety Checklist
The list below was compiled by our Prevention and Safety team. It is intended to help families ensure that their home is safe.
- House number visible from the street.
- Trees and brush are kept away from electrical wiring.
- 30-feet of clearance between your home and dead/dry plants, log piles, and un-trimmed trees.
Smoke/ Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- There is one near each sleeping area and on every floor.
- They are cleaned/ tested regularly and batteries changed yearly.
- Smoke alarms are less than 10 years old.
- Carbon Monoxide alarms are used in homes with fuel burning appliances
- Stoves are not used to heat home.
- Cooking is not left unattended.
- It is against house rules for children to be in the kitchen while cooking.
- You know not to put water on grease fires, it is best to put a lid on it.
- There are no combustible materials near the stove.
- Do not use kerosene or flammable liquids to start fire.
- Heaters are kept at least 3 feet away from combustible materials.
- Portable heaters are turned off/unplugged before going to bed or when leaving the room.
- Fireplaces are equipped with a spark screen and ashes are placed in a metal container.
- Lint is cleared from behind clothes dryer.
- Electrical wiring is not exposed or damaged.
- Fuse boxes are equipped with proper fuses and outlets are not overloaded.
- Extension cords are not secured on walls, or run under doorways.
- A Qualified Electrician installed your wiring.
- Extension cords are not used as a permanent power source.
- You use only extension cords with a built-in circuit breaker.
- Candles are lit/ used away from combustible materials and never left unattended.
- Oily rags/mops are destroyed or placed in covered metal cans.
- Hazardous materials/chemicals are labeled and kept out of reach of children
- Hazardous chemicals are properly stored in limited amounts and are kept away from heat sources.
- Do not smoke while lying down or using oxygen.
- Lighters/ matches are kept away from children.
- Use an appropriate ash tray.