Remember these important safety tips in the event of a monsoon storm or thunderstorm with lightning:
- If outside, keep an eye on the sky. If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck by lightning. Find shelter in a sturdy building or hardtop immediately.
- If you are caught outside, go to a low-lying, open space away from trees, poles or metal objects and crouch low to the ground with hands on knees. Do not lie flat on the ground. Stay away from any place that could fill with floodwaters.
- Inside the home, don’t use the telephone-telephone lines can conduct electricity.
- Avoid using any electrical appliances. Turn off sensitive electronic appliances such as television sets, VCR’s, and computers and unplug all large appliances.
- Avoid using the bathtubs, water faucets and sinks because metal pipes can transmit electricity.
- Turn off the air conditioner-power surges from lightning can over load the compressor.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible.
- Don’t leave candles unattended and keep them away from furniture, draperies and other flammable materials. Remember to keep children away from open flames.
- Always keep on hand a supply of fresh batteries, flashlights, battery-operated radio, first aid kit, emergency food and water, non-electric can opener and essential medicines.