Northwest Fire District

Carbon Monoxide

transparentspacer400H

How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide, a poisonous, colorless, odorless gas, is created from incompletely burned fuel and is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America.

  • Have a yearly professional inspection of all of your home’s fuel burning appliances at the beginning of the heating seasons including furnaces, hot water heaters, gas ovens and stoves.
  • Chimneys, flues and vents should also be inspected for leakage and blockage by creosote or debris. Have all vents to furnaces, water heaters or boilers checked to make sure they are not loose or disconnected.
  • Make sure that your appliances have adequate ventilation. This includes gas water heaters, clothes dryers, space heaters and wood burning stoves.
  • Never use charcoal grills in an enclosed space such as a home, garage, vehicle or tent and never bring live coals indoors after use. Never use charcoal grills as an indoor heat source.
  • Never leave a car running in an attached garage even if the garage door is open. Install a carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling near each sleeping area. If your alarm sounds and you are feeling drowsy or dizzy, leave the house and call 911 from the neighbors house. Do not reenter the house.